Our church is 533 yearsold. The church began as a chapel dedicated to St Mary which was erected in 1483 and dedicated in 1487.
From the twelfth century South Leith had been part of the parish of Restalrig and had no church of its own. As part of the dedication King James III of Scotland gave 18 shillings to the kirk.
In 1544 the church was used as a refuge for people displaced by the fighting when the English attacked Leith as part of the Rough Wooing when the English attacked Scotland to try to encourage a marriage between the infant Mary, Queen of Scots and the English prince.
Refuge was required as Henry VIII of England had ordered that Leith should be burnt. In the following year the Protestant martyr, George Wishart preached at the church and John Knox is thought to have been amongst those who came to listen. In 1547 the church was again involved in the struggle between the invading English and the Scots when the English used the church as a makeshift prison for Scottish nobles.